Every year, the ICCS Otters coordinate the annual International Coastal Cleanup Singapore, held on the 3rd Saturday of every September. This event brings together some 3,500 individuals every year from all around our island, all with a desire to do rid our beaches and mangroves of marine trash!
Besides the annual cleanup, we also organise Year-Round Coastal Cleanups (YRCCs) at various coastal locations around the island to relieve many of these habitats of trash.
Many of these non-recreational beaches and mangroves hold a vast amount of biodiversity despite their heavy trash load, and coastal cleanups play a role in protecting marine life from hazardous trash. These cleanups also provide an insight to participants about the extent of trash deposited in our ecosystems, a such scenes are often shielded from the eyes of everyday Singaporeans.
Taken during the Earth Day Coastal Cleanup – 18 Apr 2015
Taken during “Operation WE (coastal) Clean Up!” – 3 May 2015
By May this year, ICCS has organised 5 YRCCs, reaching out 245 volunteers altogether. These include:
- Chinese New Year Coastal Cleanup @ Tanah Merah 7 beach (TM7)(NUS RVRC) – Sat 26 Feb 2015: 8.00pm – 12.00pm [prep 1/2; prep 2/2; report 1/3; report 2/3; report 3/3]
- World Water Day Coastal Cleanup @ Sungei Pandan mangrove (SP2)(open to public) – Sat 21 Mar 2015: 4.00pm – 6.00pm [announcement; recce; report 1/2; report 2/2]
- Earth Day Coastal Cleanup @ Pasir Ris 6 Beach (open to public) – Sat 18 Apr 2015: 4.00pm – 6.00pm [announcement; recce; report]
- “Operation WE (coastal) Clean Up!” @ Lim Chu Kang Beach (open to public) – Sun 3 May 2015: 4.00pm – 6.00pm [announcement; report]
- World Biodiversity Day Coastal Cleanup @ Lim Chu Kang Beach (open to public) – Sat 16 May 2015: 4.00pm – 6.00pm [announcement; report]
We’ve still got a full calendar ahead of us in the next few months, and if you’d like to join our efforts in the fight against marine trash, mark these dates down! Do look out for an announcement with detailed information on the event and a sign up sheet that we release two weeks before every cleanup.
- World Environment Day Coastal Cleanup @ Tanah Merah Beach 7 (open to public) – Sat 06 Jun 2015: 8.00am – 12.00pm [announcement]
- Youth Day Coastal Cleanup @ Sungei Pandan (open to public) – 1 Sat 11 Jul 2015: 12.00pm – 2.00pm
- National Day Coastal Cleanup @ Lim Chu Kang beach & mangrove (open to public) – Fri 07 Aug 2015: 8.00am – 12.00pm
Join a group of passionate individuals determined to make a difference in the environment! To keep updated of all our events, do follow us on Facebook (fb.com/iccsg) and our blog, or join our mailing list!
Taken during the World Biodiversity Day Coastal Cleanup – 18 May 2015.