Hosted by: Ong Say Lin & Theresa Su
It was a night of makan, fellowship, updates and fun as Toddycats held their first HOWL in 2017.
This time, we were joined by fresh HOWLers: representatives from ELSA (Environmental Law Students Association), volunteer guides for the Festival of Biodiversity, and Dr Vilma D'Rozario's students from the National Institute of Education.
To get to know each other, we had a new icebreaker this HOWL, which is the BINGO game. It was a fast-paced game to get acquainted quickly, but alas, some groups were so enthusiastic and completed the BINGO sheet without even introducing themselves!
The highlight of this session was the sharing by Dr Vilma D’Rozario, from Cicada Tree Eco-Place. Returning from studies overseas, Vilma was transformed by hee discovery of the beauty in our local natural heritage. This led to roles as an advocate and educator for nature in Singapore and over the years, she realised she was proud to be known as an activist to protect the little we have left. It was an inspiring lesson on how much can be achieved by learning about and speaking up for nature!
The Toddycats updates which were announced during this HOWL include:
- The 2017 Toddycats Organising Committee
- The Otterman intern: Tina Liow
- Festival of Biodiversity 2017
- The Shelter Pawject
- Subscribe to The Shelter Pawject's facebook page for updates on future trips – www.facebook.com/theshelterpawject
- International Coastal Cleanup Singapore
- If you're interested to volunteer with ICCS, head on to https://coastalcleanup.wordpress.com/volunteer/
- Love Our MacRitchie Forest
- Sign up for LOMF walk at http://lovemacritchie.wordpress.com/love-macritchie-walks
- RVRC Wildlife Rescue & Campus Creatures
- Helmed by Sankar and Lesley
Updates by friends of Toddycats:
- Global Youth Biodiversity Network
- Teh Tarik @ The Red Dot (26 May 2017, 7 pm)
- For more information, visit: https://gybn.org/
- Cicada Tree Eco-Place
- For more information, visit: http://www.cicadatree.org.sg/index.html
This year, Toddycats plan to have more regular HOWL sessions to meet up for makan, discuss current issues and of course, provide updates on our various working groups. Stay tuned for the next HOWL before semester starts!